Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Toys and bad attitudes

Have you ever just had your fill with the toys? They are in every room in the house. Especially my den. It is car and doll central. I don't mind them getting it out, but here is the problem. Major attitude on picking it up. I have been harping about it for 30 minutes. They work a minute then quit. I guess they will not be going out today then, huh. I so need to get on top of this. I need help. I need major organization. We have too much stuff. Mainly, it is toys, business papers, and homeschool stuff. I wished we had money to buy some shelving for the homeschool stuff and file cabinets for the business papers. The toys need to just go. I think this may be a project for us soon. I know life would be much easier if this stuff was controlled.

2 comments:

Anneatheart said...

Boy am I with ya! I am still trying to solve the toy dilemma, but this is what I'm doing now. I boxed up everything with lots of little pieces. All dress up stuff, all blocks of any form, all puzzles,Barbies and ponies etc, all random baby-type toys, all the dolls/stuffed animals are in the toy box in the bedroom. We have a basket of books in the living room and a playpen with a few toys in it. We also have a play room with those large cardboard blocks, the Little People sets, the dishes to the kitchen and a tent. Then I have all art/school stuff in a locked cupboard in the kitchen. Lots of stuff!
I'm still working on the best system and I have to stay on them to pick up too. Try getting them to sing the clean up song from Barney. My middle one really likes to sing it while cleaning up.

Tabetha said...

We went through the "stuff" issue several years ago. Here's what we did:
1. Go through your toys with your kids and let them help pick what toys they would like to get rid of. You would be surprised at what they might be willing to let go. I discovered with mine that my issue was toys "I" didn't want to get rid of! I had to suck up and let go. :)

2. If you find yourself not wanting to get rid of many toys, consider packing some of them up and swapping out toys later. You would be surprised at how long they will play with toys when they haven't played with them for awhile. It is almost like having new toys!

3. If you come across money, you might want to consider getting a scanner instead of a bookshelf. For us, paper was one of our biggest "stuff" categories. Also, if you have books that you are saving for small sections, you can scan that small section (making sure to have book title too) and get rid of the books.

4. Check out freecycle.org or craigslist.org for book shelves and other things you may need around the house. You would probably be surprised at the great stuff you can find for free from these sites.

Good luck with your spring cleaning! I hope this helps you out. Come visit me over at http://tabetha.gedeon.name. I might have to use this comment as the base for a post later. :)