Friday, May 2, 2008

maw maw

Eight years ago today my grandma past away. I find comfort in knowing that she is with her Savior and is no longer in pain, as she suffered a long time. I am not here to talk about her death, but to celebrate her life. We often talk about our legacy, she lived what would become her legacy. She was brought up poor in a hollow in West Virginia. She learned early that everything she would have would come by the sweat of her brow. She married a coal miner at a young age. She would shortly have her first child who soon passed away. She would go on to have eight more children and one more pregnancy that ended in fetal death. She worked hard as a pastor's wife and mother. She helped with the homestead while her husband worked in the coal mines. Gardening, canning, and tending critters. She always some how managed to have time for vistors or someone in need. She always had a hot meal to offer anyone who was hungry. Speaking of food, she was a cook that would make anyone envious. She was well known for her fried chicken and apple stack pies. I actually once saw two women arguing over the last pie at a family reunion. When people fight over the last piece of pie, you know it is good!! She lived a very hard life. Simple pleasures we take for granted were not an option for her. Going to the local Wendy's was a huge thing for her. She was strict but kind. And she would hurt like the devil when she would braid my long hair as a child:) Her legacy that she lived is the one we all aspire to be. She truly was a Proverbs woman. Out of anyone I have ever know she nailed the description. And that legacy is what I hope to pass on to my children. I know I fall so short when compared to her, but I keep trying, for God, my husband, my children, and her. She spent the last decade of her life bedfast. I only share that because there was so much she could have taught me and I am sure she wanted to teach me, but hopefully I will learn on my own by looking to her life as my example. I hope to make you proud, maw maw, I love you and miss you.

No comments: